Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Crunch time is arriving


Once again time never seizes to amaze me. It is only Tuesday but I feel like I have been busy enough the past couple days that tomorrow should be Friday. In this case I'm lucky because I need all the time I can get to finish presentations/papers/study for tests before the next two weeks. Boy do I love the final crunch at the end of the semester. (This is sarcasm just in case you had doubts). At least I started off my week by having my all-time favorite dinner last night.
I had a HUGE sweet potato topped with some Smart balance, lots a cinnamon, and a pinch of brown sugar. I loooooove sweet potatoes. They are probably one of my favorite foods :)

With my potato I also had some frozen snap peas that I microwaved. You can kind of see the steam coming off of them in this picture haha.
And I also had some delicious salmon. I topped it with old bay seasoning and some dried onion and boy was it good! I'm always surprised how good my food comes out from my little George Forman.


Today started at like 7:15 am and for some reason I was extra tired. I let myself sleep in as long as possible. When I got up I made a bowl of oats. It was 3/4 c. oats, 1 tbsp. blueberries, 1 tbsp. walnuts, pinch of vanilla extract, ~1 c. water. Then after it came out of the microwave I added about 1/4 c. milk. I like to add milk after to cool it down a little :)
The I rushed around getting ready and packed my lunch before heading out the door for my 9am class. For lunch I packed a salad of mixed greens, topped with baby carrots, roasted red pepper hummus, dried cranberries, garbanzo beans, and a little bit of oil and vinegar dressing on the side. Plus I also packed some fresh strawberries, a yo-plus pomegranate blackberry yogurt, and a small bite-size chocolate egg leftover from easter. This all held me over til now, which is when I finally made it back from a loooong day of class and work. I just whipped up a green monster (~2 c. spinach, 1 tbsp. cocoa toasted almonds, 1 tbsp, nutella, 1 frozen banana, 1.5 c milk, and 3 ice cubes) and it's already gone. I might have to find another snack before I head off to kickboxing at 7pm. Now its time to accomplish some more paper writing before I finally get to work out.

My tip of the day is going to be a fact of the day, which most of you may already be aware of, but in my nutrition class today a group gave a presentation on obesity. Did you know that 1/3 of the US adult population is considered obese? Did you know that the mid-life age group (40-59) has the highest prevalence for being overweight? Right now my age group is in a transition stage, trying to figure out where we fit in out there in the real world. During this time we also establish our eating patterns. If we establish bad habits now, they will most likely stick with us later. Now is the time to start eating healthy and start caring about your body, because if you put in the extra effort now, 20 yrs from now they will be old habits and just a part of your regular routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment